Get the Most out of Simplifi by Quicken
See our newest features and browse our top picks in the Tips & Tricks section to unlock the full power of Simplifi by Quicken!
1. Category and Payee Rules: Manage your rules to fit your unique needs
Simplifi lets you change the way payees are listed and categorized to suit your unique needs and spending patterns. Do your Amazon purchases come in through your bank as “AMZN-67OI868L”? Tell Simplifi to rename them “Amazon” automatically. Should most of your Amazon transactions be in the Entertainment category instead of Shopping? Tell Simplifi to change that, too.
Now, you can manage all of your rules directly under Settings. Just navigate to your Simplifi Settings and choose Rules. Add, edit, or delete your rules, and tell Simplifi to apply those changes forward and/or backward. Simplifi will apply your changes however you tell it to, updating all your applicable transactions automatically.
2. New Shopping Refund Tracker: Track and easily stay on top of your refunds
Have you ever returned something and wondered later whether that refund actually came through?
Simplifi can keep track of it for you with the new shopping refund tracker. Just add your expected refund and Simplifi will notify you when it comes in—or when it doesn’t, and it’s time to check on it. So you’ll never have to wonder again whether your money actually came through.
As soon as your refund comes in, Simplifi will match it to your expected refund and let you know. Any refunds you’re expecting will show up in your upcoming transactions list, and you can always see a complete list at a glance of all the refunds you’re expecting as well as the ones you’ve received.
So go ahead—buy those perfect shoes online. If they’re not so perfect after all, you won’t have to let that disappointment clutter up your closet. Go ahead and return them. Simplifi will help you make sure you get your money back.Want to try it? Check out the new shopping refund tracker under Reports>Refund Tracker. Click Track a Refund and Simplifi will walk you through it, or scroll to the bottom of any transaction to mark it as something you’ve returned. You can even save a note to yourself about what the refund is for and attach a photo of the receipt in case you need it later!
3. Planned Spending: Set aside the money you need (so you don’t end up spending it)
Now, you can set aside specific amounts you plan to spend and Simplifi will adjust your spending plan automatically.
Whether you have a special occasion in mind or you just want to set aside enough for groceries each month, add those expenses to your planned spending. Simplifi will keep track of those earmarked funds, making sure you have that money available when you need it and letting you know when you’re getting low.
Check it out in your Simplifi spending plan. Click + Add Expense and Simplifi will walk you through it in just 2 easy steps!
4. Monthly Summary Reports: Get a quick review of your finances from last month
See how you did in the month that just ended. See your top categories, top payees and how things changed vs. the previous month. Make sure to leave us feedback on this feature by clicking on the icons at the bottom of the page.
5. Savings Goals: Now, you can track them in your spending plan
Open your savings goal, click edit, and select to include the monthly contribution in your spending plan. We suggest you include it in your plan when you need to make sure the money is available at the end of the month to put toward your goal. We recommend you don’t include it if the money for this goal goes straight from your paycheck into a savings account.
Here is a short video on how to create a savings goal.
Tips and Tricks
1. Add manual investment accounts and holdings
Even if your brokerage account doesn’t accept automatic downloads, you can still track those investments in Simplifi. Just add the account manually, choose the investment type, and add your holdings. Simplifi will update the value of your investments with your daily price changes and track your balance for you.
2. Import data into Simplifi from a csv file
Now, you can import transactions into Simplifi from a csv file.
- First, download your csv file from Mint, Personal Capital, Apple Card, or any other financial institution, and save it on your computer.
- On the web app, click the account you want to import your transactions to. This can be a connected account or a manual one. If the account doesn’t exist yet, add it, then go to that account.
- Next to the Search button, you’ll see a new Import button.
- Select Import and choose from Mint, Personal Capital, Apple Card, or a custom file. Then, choose your csv file, and Simplifi will add your transactions.
3. Export Simplifi data to csv / Excel
Select or search for the transactions you want to export. Click the export icon on the toolbar above your transactions to download a CSV file.
4. Set category rules for specific payees
Want to update the category for a specific payee and have Simplifi remember it going forward? When you change the category, check the box that says “Apply to similar transactions.” We’ll make the change to all previous transactions that have the existing category you changed, as well as remember it in the future.
5. Find the transactions you need
Search for transactions directly or filter any transaction list to find just the ones you need. You can filter on everything from categories to reviewed status.
6. Link a bill to a transaction or recurring series
We do our best to identify your bill payments when we see them but sometimes we miss them. There are two ways to match the reminder to a transaction:
- Click the reminder > select “link to transaction” > select the transaction
- Open the transaction > select “is bill” > select the bill to assign it to (this is really helpful if you pay part of your bill at one point in the month and then the rest later since you won’t have a reminder for the 2nd one to start with)
7. Ignore a transaction from your spending plan
This is a favorite feature in the app. This flag allows you to ignore income or spending just from the spending plan/budget feature. Use it when you’re buying things you have saved for. Since you have already put the money away, you don’t need it to come from the income you have available for this month.
NOTE: When you run any other reports, these transactions will be included, so you can still get a full picture of where your money really went. If you want to ignore the transaction from all reports, select the “ignore from reports” flag.
8. Track anything you want to with custom tags
Tags are awesome—they allow you to track spending in certain areas while still keeping the typical category. Create tags for your children, specific trips, holidays, etc. Then when you spend, tag the transaction. If it’s a tag you want to keep an eye on for any period of time, create a watchlist for it. If you just want to see a quick report of your spending for that tag, check out the “spending by tag” report in the web app.
9. Split transactions across multiple categories
Perfect for those Amazon purchases. Open the transaction, select split, and break down your spending by category so your spending report will accurately reflect which categories you spent in.
Enjoy your first
30 days free!
Then, pay as low as $2.99 per month.
No additional fees. No ads.Start my free trial